Geo-electric Investigation for Groundwater Potential in Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria

Authors

  • Chinwuko, A. I. Federal University Gusau
  • Anakwuba, E.K. Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka
  • Okeke, H.C. Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka
  • Usman, A.O. Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka
  • Ovwasa, M.O. Federal University Gusau
  • Okoye, I.F. Federal University Gusau

Keywords:

Awka, Vertical electric sounding, aquifer, Imo Formation and Nanka Sands

Abstract

Geoelectric investigations for groundwater exploration in Awka area were made using vertical electrical sounding technique. This study is aimed at delineating the aquiferous units in parts of Awka and environs by determining their depths, thicknesses, lateral extent, resistivity of the aquiferous layers and the potential borehole depth at various locations within the area. Twenty vertical electrical soundings were carried out during the geophysical survey using the Schlumberger Array. The data was interpreted using the conventional curve matching and computer iteration method. The results revealed eight different curve types namely; K, H, QH, HK, KH, QK, KQ and KHK-curve types. 65% of all the sounding curves belong to HK and H-types whereas the remaining 35% belongs to other six curve types within the study area. The results also revealed that depths to the water saturated sandstones (aquifer) within the study area range from 30.83m at Kenneth Dike memorial Seconadry School Awka to 225.03m at UNIZIK Science Village. The aquifers are therefore capable of yielding enough water that would serve the immediate environs.

Author Biographies

Chinwuko, A. I., Federal University Gusau

Department of Geological Sciences, Federal University Gusau, Nigeria

Anakwuba, E.K., Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka

Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. Nigeria.

Okeke, H.C., Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka

Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. Nigeria.

Usman, A.O., Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka

Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. Nigeria

Ovwasa, M.O., Federal University Gusau

Department of Geological Sciences, Federal University Gusau, Nigeria

Okoye, I.F., Federal University Gusau

Department of Physics, Federal University Gusau, Nigeria

Downloads

Published

2015-12-09

How to Cite

Chinwuko, A. I., Anakwuba, E.K., Okeke, H.C., Usman, A.O., Ovwasa, M.O., & Okoye, I.F. (2015). Geo-electric Investigation for Groundwater Potential in Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science for Global Sustainability, 1(1), 11. Retrieved from https://fugus-ijsgs.com.ng/index.php/ijsgs/article/view/299

Most read articles by the same author(s)